15 steps on how to start game testing for money – If you’re a gamer and want to start game testing for money, game testing is an option. Many companies are looking for people who love games and have the attention span to play them for hours on end. It’s not as easy as playing games all day long and getting paid for it. To get into this business and start, you need to know what it takes to become a game tester. Let me tell you about my own experience!
15 steps on how to start game testing for money
1. How to get started as a game tester
The first step to becoming a game tester is to get a free trial and learn about the company and its products.
- Visit their website and see if you like their style or not.
- Find out which games they develop, how many millions of players they have, how much money the company makes per year, etc.
- Check if other companies offer similar services and compare them with yours (game testing). You can also ask your friends who work at other game testing companies what they think about them, if they would recommend them to others, etc.
2. Become an expert gamer
The first step to becoming successful in starting game testing for money is to become an expert gamer. This means you must play games for many hours, preferably at least 10-12 hours per day. You should also try different games and genres as these will make you more adaptable when it comes time to test new games.
When you’re playing video games, try not just playing through the storyline but also repeating old missions or levels repeatedly so that you can get better scores and unlock new achievements that may have been missed previously.
3. Learn how to describe problems in detail.
You will be required to describe your problems with a game. This can be quite challenging since you’re not an expert and don’t know how exactly to describe the problem so that a tester could reproduce it.
If you struggle to express yourself, we want to share our experience on how best to put your thoughts in words and make them easy for others (testers) to follow. We recommend following these simple steps:
- Describe the problem as if you were telling your friend about it.
- Provide details that would help the tester reproduce it;
- Include any specific steps taken to encounter this issue;
- If possible, include screenshots or videos that clearly show what is wrong with the game (don’t worry if they aren’t professional quality – just make sure they are clear enough).
4. Get a video capture device (optional but helpful)
If you want to get paid for your game-testing skills, a video capture device is a must-have. You can use a webcam or even your smartphone camera if you feel comfortable with it. If you have extra money, buy yourself a dedicated video capture device.
Many free tools like Camtasia Studio or Open Broadcaster Software allow you to record and edit video files easily. If you are just starting out with game testing as a hobbyist, these tools will be enough.
5. Find work-from-home game-testing jobs
You should search for “game testing jobs” on Google or any other major search engine to find game testing jobs. You can also visit specialized websites that list job opportunities in the field of video games. You might want to check out some of the following sites:
- Gamasutra – one of the most popular websites for game developers and designers who want to connect with each other and share news about their projects
- Indeed – a massive online database of employment ads from all over the world
6. Make sure the job is legitimate.
1. Check the ads. Be sure to read them carefully and watch for any obvious red flags. If you’re still uncertain, look up the company name on Google and see what else comes up; that might give you a good idea of how legitimate they are.
2. Check their website. Make sure it looks professional and is easy to navigate—if it’s too complicated, you’re likely dealing with someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing (which could be a sign that they aren’t very trustworthy). Also, check out their social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) to see if they’re active on those platforms; if not, there’s probably something wrong here!
3. Look at reviews. If there are any reviews available online about this company or individual testers/testers’ experiences working with them in general (on sites like Glassdoor), then definitely take some time to go through those before making any decisions about whether or not you should work with them yourself! These types of websites can be helpful because they allow people from all over America who work through similar channels (such as freelancing) to share their experiences working together online so others like us can avoid making costly mistakes along our own journeys too 🙂
7. Use Google and look at the ads!
If you’re looking for game testing for money, the best place to start is Google. Search for “game testing” and then click on the ads above and below the search results. You’ll see these ads because companies are advertising for jobs as game testers, so use that as an opportunity to do some research!
Look at what each company is offering in terms of pay and hours, but also notice what they’re looking for in their applicants’ experience—this will give you some idea of which companies might be a better fit than others (and could help guide your future job searches).
8. Post on Craigslist.
You might not be able to get your dream job this way, but it can be a good place to start. Posting your resume or CV on Craigslist is one of the easiest ways to find work-from-home jobs. You can also post a job listing on Craigslist if you are looking for a job!
9. Ask companies you already do business with.
There are many ways to find game testing for money. You can apply directly through the company’s website, but it is often better to ask for a referral from someone who already works there. This will increase your chance of getting a job offer.
You can ask your friends, family, and colleagues if they know anyone who could use your services as a game tester. If you don’t know anyone in the industry, try asking them what companies they do business with that could use help with their products or services. They may be more willing than others to make an introduction on your behalf if they know it will result in some kind of reward (like getting free access to their product or service).
10. Join Facebook groups.
Search for game-testing Facebook groups. There are many of them, and they can be found by typing “game testing” into the search bar on Facebook or by clicking here to see some examples.
Ask questions in the group. If you want to get noticed, ask lots of questions about how things are done and what tools to use, etc., but don’t ask too many at once! Your goal should be to get your name out there so that people will remember it when jobs come up.
Post your resume on the group’s page if you have one already (you can create one at job sites like Monster). Many people don’t have resumes yet, so this is a great way for them to build up theirs if they’re unsure how or where their experience fits into what recruiters want from their candidates! Also, mention that you’re looking for work—if anyone knows anything that’s not currently posted publicly elsewhere online, let us know because we’d love another resource!
11. Check out specialized game tester websites.
Many specialized sites can help you find a job as a game tester. Some of these websites have job boards, so you can simply post your resume. Other sites have databases of companies that hire game testers, which may require some time to search through.
If your goal is to test games for money, I would recommend using one of these specialized websites to find work as a game tester. You should also use these websites when looking into the industry in general and learning more about it before deciding if this is something you want to pursue as an employee or freelance contractor.
12. Find in-house game-testing jobs through a staffing agency.
Staffing agencies are a great way to get started in the game testing industry, especially for those who don’t have much experience or aren’t sure what job is right for them.
- Staffing agencies will help you find work. If you’re new to the game testing industry, it can be difficult to know where to start looking and what kind of opportunities might be out there. A staffing agency can connect you with jobs matching your skill set and interests so that you’ll get started fast without spending time searching on your own.
- Staffing agencies will help you find the right company for you. There are so many companies hiring game testers, and they all offer different types of positions; it can be overwhelming trying to figure out which would be the best fit for your needs and preferences. A professional staffing agency knows all about each employer’s reputation within their industry and employee satisfaction surveys from past employees, so they can guide applicants through this process to find work and choose an employer that supports their individual needs!
13. Apply for as many jobs as you can find.
The first thing you have to do is apply for as many jobs as possible. Don’t be lazy; only apply for jobs relevant to your experience, and don’t be picky. Apply even when it’s not exactly what you want; if you’re lucky enough to get an interview, then at least the company will know what kind of work they can hire you for. If they start paying less than before or give fewer hours per week than expected, don’t let that discourage you from continuing the job!
If there’s one thing about game testing jobs: companies like them because they’re easy to fill and profitable since most testers only need a basic computer setup, including headphones and a microphone (but preferably headsets). You’ll get paid per hour so even if the client doesn’t book much work with him/herself, he/she still makes money by simply hiring others instead!
Improve your chances by following directions.
- Follow directions carefully.
- Read the job description and make sure that your qualifications fit the requirements.
- Send a resume, not an email.
- Send a cover letter explaining why you are interested in the job.
- Send a thank you note after you apply
14. It’s possible to make money as a game tester if you’re willing to work for different companies and follow their instructions closely
The best way to make money as a game tester is by helping companies that create video games find flaws in their product. Many people think this sounds like an easy job, but it takes some skill and focuses on finding the right problems.
Although you can make money as a game tester by playing games for hours on end, searching for bugs can be more lucrative. You’ll need to be able to do things like:
- Find specific errors in the code or mechanics of the game
- Report these errors using precise language
Game testing can be a fun way to make money online, but it’s not an easy job. If you’re willing to put in the time and effort, we think these tips will help you get started on the right foot!